Desolation Wilderness permits available online – Permits are available through the National Recreation Reservation Service (NRRS) at recreation.gov. Reserved permits can be printed at home or picked up at a Forest Service office within 14 days prior to date of entry.
- 1 How do you get a day permit for Desolation Wilderness?
- 2 Do you need a permit to day hike in Desolation Wilderness?
- 3 Where do you hike in Desolation Wilderness?
- 4 Why is Desolation Wilderness closed?
- 5 Are bear canisters required in Desolation Wilderness?
- 6 Can you have fires in Desolation Wilderness?
- 7 Do I need a permit to backpack in El Dorado National Forest?
- 8 Do I need a permit to hike in Lake Tahoe?
- 9 Do I need a permit to backpack in Tahoe National Forest?
- 10 What elevation is Desolation Wilderness?
- 11 Is Pyramid Peak Trail open?
- 12 How many lakes are in Desolation Wilderness?
- 13 Which California parks are closed?
- 14 Is there service in Desolation Wilderness?
How do you get a day permit for Desolation Wilderness?
Reservations for Desolation Wilderness overnight permits are available through the National Recreation Reservation Service (NRRS) at Recreation.gov or by calling (877)-444-6777. Reservations are available from one day up to 6 months in advance of entry date.
Do you need a permit to day hike in Desolation Wilderness?
Valid permit is required for day and overnight visits year-round. Enter Desolation Wilderness on the reserved permit start date. During the quota season, you must stay your first night within the destination zone on your permit. Permit is not valid until signed.
Where do you hike in Desolation Wilderness?
- Mount Tallac via Mount Tallac Trailhead.
- Maggies Peaks via Bayview Trail.
- Eagle Lake via Eagle Falls Trail.
- Upper Velma Lake from Eagle Falls Trailhead.
- Ralston Peak via Hwy 50.
- Modjeska Falls via Pacific Crest Trail and Glen Alpine Trail.
- Le Conte Lake Loop via Pacific Crest Trail.
Why is Desolation Wilderness closed?
DESOLATION WILDERNESS IS CLOSED TO VISITORS due to the Caldor Fire. 21, 2021 – For public safety, a temporary closure order is in effect for the following backcountry areas: Desolation Wilderness, Meiss Country, Barker Pass, Blackwood Canyon and McKinney/Rubicon due to the Caldor Fire.
Are bear canisters required in Desolation Wilderness?
We also strongly recommend carrying a bear canister in Desolation Wilderness near Lake Tahoe. If you’re hiking the entire John Muir Trail, that’s the entire way. ALL of your food and scented items must be in the canister once you make camp.
Can you have fires in Desolation Wilderness?
Campfires – Campfires are prohibited in Desolation Wilderness to reduce human-caused fires, impacts to vegetation from firewood collection, and to reduce the visual impacts of fire rings and surface scarring.
Do I need a permit to backpack in El Dorado National Forest?
You must book permit in advance. Permit offices remain closed until further notice. Virtual services for trip planning are available. Eldorado National Forest – Call 530-647-5415 for more information 7 days/week, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Do I need a permit to hike in Lake Tahoe?
The only location on the Tahoe Rim Trail requiring a permit for day use is Desolation Wilderness. Permits are free, self-issued and available at all trailheads entering the wilderness.
Do I need a permit to backpack in Tahoe National Forest?
Tahoe National Forest (THN) is 871,400+ acres of breathtaking mountains, wildflower meadows & crystal clear reservoirs. It’s one of the most popular national forests in the country, and you don’t need a permit to explore its backcountry, aka Granite Chief Wilderness.
What elevation is Desolation Wilderness?
This wilderness straddles both sides of the Sierra Nevada, averages 12.5 miles in length and eight miles in width, and has elevations ranging from about 6,500 feet to over 10,000 feet.
Is Pyramid Peak Trail open?
Pyramid Peak Trail [ CLOSED ]
How many lakes are in Desolation Wilderness?
There’s about 150 or so, but that includes lots of little unnamed lakes and ponds.
Which California parks are closed?
These Are the 18 California National Forests Closed Due to
- Angeles National Forest.
- Cleveland National Forest.
- Eldorado National Forest (under a separate closure order through September 30)
- Inyo National Forest.
- Klamath National Forest.
- Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit.
- Lassen National Forest.
Is there service in Desolation Wilderness?
Because it is a Wilderness, Desolaon lacks many of the conveniences of modern civilizaon. Cell service is rare. Medical and rescue services may not be immediately available in emergencies. Keep these risks in mind when planning your trip.