10 Tips for Climbing Your First Colorado 14er
- Hydrate Early and Often. When doing any strenuous physical activity, hydration is key.
- Fuel Up. Most of us aren’t used to six to eight hours of sustained strenuous activity.
- Start Early.
- Wear Layers.
- Pack Smart.
- Break in Your Boots.
- Do Your Research.
- Plan for a Weekday.
- 1 How do I prepare for my first 14er?
- 2 How hard is it to hike a 14er?
- 3 What gear do I need to hike a 14er?
- 4 What should I eat the night before a hiking 14er?
- 5 Can I do a 14er without training?
- 6 How early should you start a 14er?
- 7 Has anyone died on Quandary Peak?
- 8 How many calories do you burn hiking a 14er?
- 9 Which 14er should I start with?
- 10 What pants do you wear 14er?
- 11 Should you carb load before a 14er?
- 12 How long before climbing should I eat?
- 13 What do you eat on a hike?
How do I prepare for my first 14er?
14 Tips For Taking On Your First 14er
- Pick an easy peak for your first time.
- Plan and study your route.
- Be prepared for changing weather.
- Hike with a buddy (or a few).
- Take a small first aid kit.
- Bring multiple layers.
- Start out early.
- Eat a hearty breakfast.
How hard is it to hike a 14er?
Some easy 14ers are still very difficult to reach because of the poor quality of the road reaching the trailhead. If you don’t have a 4WD car with good clearance, you may end up having to add many miles to your hike. Make sure you research the trailhead before you head there.
What gear do I need to hike a 14er?
Start with a base layer, long underwear in winter, or a light t-shirt and shorts in summer. Add a mid-layer pullover and hiking pants. Bring a puffy jacket and light snow pants in case you need them. Don’t forget a rain jacket, hat and warm pair of gloves!
What should I eat the night before a hiking 14er?
The 17 Best Snacks to Take On a 14er
- Traditional Trail Mix.
- Cliff Bars.
- Tortilla, Cheese & Summer Sausage.
- Dried Fruit (Apricots especially!)
- Oat Bars (Nature Valley)
- Beef Jerky and Meat Sticks.
Can I do a 14er without training?
If you’ve set your sights on the summit of a 14er, odds are you’re already pretty active, but that doesn’t mean you don’ t need to train for the trek. While some hikes to the summit are easier than others, all are arduous and will require both strength and endurance.
How early should you start a 14er?
Fourteener season generally starts in late June to early July depending on how much snow fell over the winter and how dry the trails are. All Colorado 14ers can have patches of snow year round, but the trails generally are clear to hike by mid-summer.
Has anyone died on Quandary Peak?
“I’ve summited Quandary like a dozen times, and I’ve only seen it in daylight once.” Fatalities are rarer than helicopter extractions, but they do happen—in recent summer incidents, one woman fell down a couloir and died, and another suffered a cardiac arrest on the summit.
How many calories do you burn hiking a 14er?
Depending on your weight, hiking can burn anywhere from 400 to 600 calories per hour. That means on a climb like Long’s you can burn upwards of 9,000 calories. Without proper nutrition, your body won’t be able to carry you to the summit. Foods high in protein and carbs are good options.
Which 14er should I start with?
Well-traversed and easy to get to from I-70, Grays Peak and neighboring Torreys Peak are both excellent choices for your first 14er. Grays Peak is also the highest mountain in Colorado’s Front Range.
What pants do you wear 14er?
If you’re planning your first 14er, here’s how to layer for maximum comfort. Start with synthetic or wool underwear. Even if you have high-quality hiking pants or a fancy wicking shirt, if your underwear or bra is cotton, it’s going to stay wet once it gets sweaty, and that will probably make you cold on top.
Should you carb load before a 14er?
The prep for a 14er starts two days ahead of the actual hike. Drink lots of water; eat protein and carb rich foods and lay off the booze. If two days ahead is a serious fast for you than at least the one day before hand volunteer to be the designated driver.
How long before climbing should I eat?
If you’re the kind of person that loses your appetite when you are nervous (or forgets to eat), have a plan to eat quick-digesting carbs (see list above) about 30-60 minutes before you will be climbing.
What do you eat on a hike?
3. For a Hike or Day Trip
- Trail mix.
- Nuts, seeds, nut-based bars or nut butter packs.
- Fresh, whole fruit that doesn’t require refrigeration such as apples, bananas and oranges.
- Dried or freeze-dried fruits and veggies.
- Energy bars, chews or gels.
- Granola or granola bars.
- Ready-made tuna salad pouches.
- Whole-grain tortillas.