10 Tips for Climbing Your First Colorado 14er
- Hydrate Early and Often. When doing any strenuous physical activity, hydration is key.
- Fuel Up. Most of us aren’t used to six to eight hours of sustained strenuous activity.
- Start Early.
- Wear Layers.
- Pack Smart.
- Break in Your Boots.
- Do Your Research.
- Plan for a Weekday.
- 1 How hard is it to hike a 14er?
- 2 How do I prepare for my first 14er?
- 3 What should I bring on a 14er hike?
- 4 What should I eat the night before a 14er?
- 5 How early should you start a 14er?
- 6 Has anyone died on Quandary Peak?
- 7 How in shape do you need to be to hike a 14er?
- 8 What pants do you wear 14er?
- 9 What should I wear for Longs Peak?
- 10 How many calories burned hiking a 14er?
- 11 How long before climbing should I eat?
- 12 What should I eat the night before a big hike?
How hard is it to hike a 14er?
The first half-mile of almost every 14er is super tough. It is steep, you are at a high altitude and you are just getting warm. Your mind will tell you that you can’t do it, but if you push for a bit longer, you will discover that it gets easier.
How do I prepare for my first 14er?
Weight training at least three times a week is a good start to get ready to tackle your first 14er. Work all your major muscle groups, not just your legs, and spend at least 30 minutes per workout. A strong core, as well as strong arms, will help propel you to the top.
What should I bring on a 14er hike?
What Gear To Pack For Climbing a 14er
- Quick-dry short-sleeve or long-sleeve top.
- Shorts and hiking pants.
- Hiking socks.
- Hiking boots or shoes with plenty of tread and ankle support. Be sure this isn’t your first time wearing new shoes!
- Warm mid-layer or insulated jacket.
- Rain Jacket.
What should I eat the night before a 14er?
The 17 Best Snacks to Take On a 14er
- Traditional Trail Mix.
- Cliff Bars.
- Tortilla, Cheese & Summer Sausage.
- Dried Fruit (Apricots especially!)
- Oat Bars (Nature Valley)
- Beef Jerky and Meat Sticks.
How early should you start a 14er?
Fourteener season generally starts in late June to early July depending on how much snow fell over the winter and how dry the trails are. All Colorado 14ers can have patches of snow year round, but the trails generally are clear to hike by mid-summer.
Has anyone died on Quandary Peak?
“I’ve summited Quandary like a dozen times, and I’ve only seen it in daylight once.” Fatalities are rarer than helicopter extractions, but they do happen—in recent summer incidents, one woman fell down a couloir and died, and another suffered a cardiac arrest on the summit.
How in shape do you need to be to hike a 14er?
Your 14er Training Plan
- Aerobic Endurance (3–4x a week) At least once a week, do one long aerobic workout.
- Strength Training (2x per week) Perform two full body weight training sessions per week, focusing on your core muscles and lower body.
- Bonus Tips for Your 14er Training Hikes.
What pants do you wear 14er?
If you’re planning your first 14er, here’s how to layer for maximum comfort. Start with synthetic or wool underwear. Even if you have high-quality hiking pants or a fancy wicking shirt, if your underwear or bra is cotton, it’s going to stay wet once it gets sweaty, and that will probably make you cold on top.
What should I wear for Longs Peak?
Hiking Gear for Longs Peak
- Layers with good insulation, windproof (synthetic or wool) (midlayer and a puffy jacket)
- Rain jacket.
- Sun protection: sun hat, sunglasses, sunscreen.
- High-energy food and snacks.
- Sturdy footwear and extra socks.
How many calories burned hiking a 14er?
Depending on your weight, hiking can burn anywhere from 400 to 600 calories per hour.
How long before climbing should I eat?
If you’re the kind of person that loses your appetite when you are nervous (or forgets to eat), have a plan to eat quick-digesting carbs (see list above) about 30-60 minutes before you will be climbing.
What should I eat the night before a big hike?
Eat a combination of complex carbohydrates and lean protein, 1-3 hours before a hike, for example:
- A peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole wheat bread.
- Greek yogurt with berries.
- Oatmeal with low fat milk and fruit.
- Apple and peanut butter.
- A handful of nuts and raisins (2 parts raisins, 1 part nuts)