Bash Bish Falls Trail is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Washington, Massachusetts that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.
- 1 How hard is the hike to Bash Bish Falls?
- 2 Can you swim in Bash Bish Falls?
- 3 Is Bash Bish Falls crowded?
- 4 Are there bears at Bash Bish Falls?
- 5 How many people have died at Bash Bish Falls?
- 6 Is Bash Bish Falls closed?
- 7 What is the tallest waterfall in Massachusetts?
- 8 What is the largest waterfall in New York?
- 9 What else is near Bash Bish Falls?
- 10 Why is it called Bash Bish Falls?
- 11 Is Bash Bish Falls kid friendly?
- 12 Is Monument Mountain Open?
How hard is the hike to Bash Bish Falls?
The MA side of the Bash Bish Falls hike… “Sure,” we reasoned, “it says on the official website that it’s a steep descent of 300 feet, but at only a third of a mile, how hard can that be? Ahem. The answer is, “ about 15 different kinds of hard.” Careful on the rocks by Bash Bish Falls.
Can you swim in Bash Bish Falls?
Below the waterfall is a deep pool, with clear and inviting water, but, unfortunately, dangerous currents have forced state park officials to prohibit swimming. Bash Bish Falls is one of the most publicized waterfalls in the state.
Is Bash Bish Falls crowded?
The park has been crowded for much of the summer as people who were sheltering at home during the pandemic sought relief from isolation. But with the oppressive heat and humidity of the last few days, the size of the crowds — and the danger —have increased.
Are there bears at Bash Bish Falls?
The slopes around the waterfall are covered by forests of trees such as maple, oak, and beech. Wildlife includes the timber rattlesnake, the peregrine falcon, bobcats, black bears, and porcupines.
How many people have died at Bash Bish Falls?
More than 25 deaths have occurred at the Falls in the past century. Some were due to drowning, but most were due to rock climbing or rock jumping. This is a very dangerous area as pools are shallow, and swimming is not allowed.
Is Bash Bish Falls closed?
The closure is part of an effort to manage park capacity but the park itself remains open to visitors. The state Department of Conservation and Recreation has implemented a parking area closure until further notice at Bash Bish Falls State Park on Falls Road, said DCR spokesperson Olivia K.
What is the tallest waterfall in Massachusetts?
Bash Bish Falls is the highest waterfall in Massachusetts and a popular scenic destination. The dramatic final pitch of Bash Bish Brook drops about 80 feet into an emerald plunge pool. Enjoy a hike to experience the wonder and beauty of this deep, verdant gorge.
What is the largest waterfall in New York?
1. Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls is the obvious list topper for the best falls in New York. The largest waterfall in the state, and one of the biggest in the world, this impressive marvel is a bucket list item.
What else is near Bash Bish Falls?
Things to Do near Bash Bish Falls
- Monument Mountain. #1 of 21 things to do in Great Barrington.
- Hillrock Estate Distillery.
- Berkshire Mountain Distillers.
- Taconic State Park.
- Copake Iron Works Historic Site at Taconic State Park.
- Catamount Mountain Resort.
- Catamount Aerial Adventure Park.
- The Guthrie Center & Foundation.
Why is it called Bash Bish Falls?
According to local lore, Bash Bish Falls got its name from a beautiful Mohican woman named Bash Bish. Unfortunately, most of the details of her life have been obscured by time. The only thing legend tells us is that her tribe condemned her to death for committing adultery.
Is Bash Bish Falls kid friendly?
We took 4 kids, ages 6 and 9 to Bash Bish and parked on the NY side. Kids had a ball wading in water both at falls and then below in stream. It’s also FREE which is a plus!
Is Monument Mountain Open?
Admission & Hours Open from sunrise to sunset. Members: FREE. Nonmembers: $6 parking fee.